tirsdag den 10. maj 2016

Mini writing tip - Getting through a tough chapter

So, now I’ve worked with a chapter the past 10-11 days. It usually doesn’t take me that long to write a chapter and I can feel I’m struggling a little to find motivation, mainly because my steady writing flow got interrupted. First because of holidays, second because of research.
So now I’m gonna tell you how to ‘survive’ and get the chapter finished even though it’s hard.
First off DO NOT continue to kick yourself in the ass for not finishing a chapter as fast as you normally do. Same goes for kicking yourself over not writing as much each day/writing session as you use to.
Second, look at your chapter every day. I usually read ½ -2 pages to ‘get into the story again’. Here you can also proofread what you already wrote. You can also read the chapter from the top, but after a week of reading the same chapter over and over I move on to the ½-2 page method.
Third, try to write every day. Just one sentence is enough (here it’s important to remember the first rule) It is okay to stare at the page for an hour and only write one sentence or half a page. At least you’re going somewhere, and at some point you’ll finish that chapter. Sometimes one sentence bring forth the next one and before you know it – BAM – you have a page. Soon you’ll have a chapter and can move on.
Fourth, Praise yourself for writing one sentence, praise yourself for writing half a page. Remember you are one sentence, one paragraph, one page closer to getting through this chapter.

My point is: push through it, writing is hard sometimes, and sometimes it’s pure fun :D
Push through the hard parts – enjoy the fun. You can do it. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar