torsdag den 25. februar 2016

Finding your writing flow again

PS. sorry the background is white and shit, I'm not that technical and don't know how to fix it -.- perhaps you'll get a good laugh at my missing technical skills and helplessness. So I had to research some stuff for the book that included a trip to the library along with endless searching on the internet. It took three days, but along with februaryfiction and the fact that I'd been beta reading some stuff for other authors I've gotten out of my writing flow. And in Denmark we had winter vacation last week, so I also went to see one of my best friends. Now I'll tell you how I found my writing flow again after almost 3 weeks without seriously writing on The Hunt. First of all you have to remember that writing is like sex. Yes you heard me. The more you write, the more you want to write. I always keeps that as a motivator. When I have a super-good writing flow I'm contantly thinking about writing, and can even be so obsessed I count the hours until I can be in front of the laptop again. Yeah, it's that bad. But this doesn't come by itself. You have to get into that super-good loop first. Now it took me 3 days to find that flow and the super-good circle/loop again. Monday I felt more like watching that series I just started on Netflix called 'The Originals' (Btw I can totally recommend that.) But with series you always think 'just one episode' and then half a season later ... you know the drill. My writing mood was to say it the least - torpid. (though it also had something to do with the fact that I'm slightly sick - nothing serious, just a common cold) But I knew if I put some effort into it I would eventually find that good flow again. But I didn't pull myself together before tuesday. I edited a little and tried to write but nothing came out on monday. So on tuesday I had wrote about a page when my neighbors came to check on me (they're so super sweet when I'm sick) They offered that I could sit in their apartment and relax, and then they would make me dinner. One of them - Nivi is a super talented artist, so we made a little 'creative workshop' She drew - I wrote. And that helped, but I still felt the words were slightly forced. When I feel like this I just write the plot and actions, and later I'll go back and 'fondle with the details' (This is a figure of speech in danish actually) and focus on the varied language. Tuesday I ended up writing 5 pages (finished chapter 9 and started on chapter 10.) Wednesday I was on it again. The words didn't feel as forced, but I still wasn't back. I decided that I would be satisfied with myself if I just finished chapter 10. When I did that and was ready to relax the rest of the day. I saw the new released episode of the Netflix series 'Shadowhunters' (I can totally recommend that one as well along with the movie 'The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones' - both the series and the movie is based on a book series. I have actually just bougth the first book in the series.) And when I was done watching Shadowhunters I felt like I wanted to write more. I think that was also 'provoked' by the fact that I set an easy goal I had to fulfill that day. So I wasn't in a state of mind that said I wrote too little and making myself feel bad about it. And today I couldn't wait twith starting to write, but I took a break to share this with you. I hope this helps. On the bottom line: Stick to your shit. Don't give up. When you're first rolling it's gonna be much much easier than you have ever imagined.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar