søndag den 14. februar 2016

Writing tip - Said is dead


You’ve probably heard it before, but I’ll say ‘said is dead to a certain extend’.
Using ‘said’ alone isn’t enough, using ‘said’ too much is also a no go. I can give you some examples, but first and foremost: be creative! Have a little fun throwing words around, set the mood, paint the expressions with words.
First off, I have a little secret list, well not so secret anymore I guess, for alternatives to ‘said’. (I’m sorry I can’t remember where I found it, but if you know where it’s from or are the genius person who made it, please contact me so I can credit.) I’ve also added a few words myself to the list.

Normally:
Stated
Spoke
Remarked
Reported
Added

As a question:
Asked
Inquired
Requested
Begged
Pleaded

As an answer:
Answered
Replied
Responded
Acknowledged
Explained
Elaborated

Happily:
Rejoiced
Laughed
Joked
Giggled
Sang
Cheered
Smirked
Marveled
Chimed
Beamed
Grinned
Smiled

Loudly:
Shouted
Belted
Yelled
Screamed
Exclaimed
Boomed
Called

Full of worry:
Quaked
Trembled
Stammered
Stuttered
Gulped

Angrily:
Demanded
Hissed
Fumed
Thundered
Snapped
Sneered
Barked
Ranted
Grunted
Roared
Bellowed

Bossily:
Commanded
Ordered
Dictated
Insisted

Sadly:

Cried
Sobbed
Groaned
Bawled
Whined

Quietly:
Mumbled
Muttered
Whispered

Silently:
Thought
Wondered
Pondered

And now how to use said.
Here’s 10 examples from ‘The Hunt’. (Copyright, please do not use these exact phrases, they’re meant as an example and help. Be creative, use your own words, and gestures fitting your character.)

- He said quietly, but not less harsh after a few minutes.
- I finally said, nodding, but I couldn't hold a frown back from my face.
- She said stubbornly and crossed her arms in front of her, making her look like a stubborn child, but she was right.
- Jake said to the receptionist, a chubby lady dressed in a too flowery yellow dress, and with curly blond hair that needed a coloring very badly.
-
He said it in a caring voice, his fingers laid under my chin, his thumb stroking beneath my lower lip.
-
I said in the least hostile tone I could, but it still sounded off.
- She said, and kicked off her boots.
- He said, grabbed my ass and lifted me up with my legs around his waist, and my arms around his neck.
- He said superiorly with a raised eyebrow while he lightly shook his head.
- I said automatically.

We got gestures, facial expression, tone of voice used, actions or surroundings.
(Actions and/or surroundings can also give a clue to how it’s said.)
Sometimes you just can’t find a replacement for ‘said’, but when you finally use it, avoid making it boring. Of course if you have a character that doesn’t pays attention to details you can now and then just use ‘he/she said.’ Especially when the scenery/words gives a clue to how it’s actually said. 

1 kommentar: