søndag den 7. februar 2016

The art of a varied language (writing tip)


Yes, believe it or not I actually have a document on my laptop named exactly that. English isn’t my mother tongue, Danish is. So of course I have a small obstacle that English-speaking people doesn’t have. But I think I weigh up for it in different ways. I know a lot of people whose first language isn’t English, but still write in English. Simply because English is more varied than Danish. Most of the times English have 10 synonyms for a word where Danish only have two. Or they have more, but then some of them aren’t really words you’d use in the 21st century. Anyway many Danish people feel it easier to express themselves passionately in English.
Anyway back to the point. Back in school I only had English for 5 years. That ain’t a lot. (5th-10th grade) now a days they start having English in 1st grade in the Danish schools.  But luckily a lot of movies and series is in English, and the only way to get better at a language is to use it. Hear it, write it, talk it. Though I don’t talk it much, so I have this godawful Danish accent. And to be honest a Danish accent in English is the worst and least charming thing I’ve ever heard.
Over the years I’ve played some online games, been active in forums, and when I started to collect Evanescence (American gothic rock something band) I made a lot of international friendships, and that strengthen my English day by day.
My point was, that if English isn’t your native language and want it improved you could do some of those things I do.

- Watch movies and series without subtitles, or with English subtitles.
- Read English books.
What I do when I read English book is of course look up the words I’m just a tiny bit unsure of.
Second – I write down all the words that I don’t normally use in my daily English writing/speaking, and put them in my secret document (that is not so super-secret anymore, but the contents is still though.) and look at it daily simply to extend my vocabulary and get these words into my head so I use them. I suggest you all make your personal ‘The art of a varied language’, even English-speaking people could benefit from this.
- Interact with people from other countries. It can be a challenge to understand someone who doesn’t speak/write English properly, and it gives good experience. I at least found it a gainful experience to get a meaning out of sentences that aren’t spelled right (where, were, we’re. Then, than, there, they’re, etc.) And have wrong word order too.
- Use it! Use English in everyday conversations, make small quests for yourself like describing different things including the tiniest details. (Sunsets, the view from your window, your moms face, your pet, your hand, etc. be creative. So you ‘exercise’ different parts of your language.
- Thesaurus.com! It’s important that you don’t use the same words too often.
E.g. I quickly put on makeup, quickly got dressed, and quickly went out the door.
See that’s just freaking annoying. And if your brain feels inelastic with synonyms then Thesaurus is a great kick starter.
A quick (ha ha) look at thesaurus, and I was able to transform the example sentence into this:
I swiftly put on makeup, hastily threw on some clothes, and hurried out the door.

It doesn’t have to be more complicated than you make it. But if you feel like it’s interrupting your writing flow, then just write and don’t give a shit weather you’re using ‘quickly’ 17 times on a page or not. Write, write, write, and when you go back to edit you can find synonyms, and maybe rewrite some parts so you get that much-repeated word off your pages. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar